First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Gliding Motility – Mechanisms
- Cyanobacteria - xxcretion of polysaccharide slime – slime is in contact with both the cell & surface
- Myxococcus xanthus – two methods
- Pili type IV method - repeated extension & retraction of type IV pili propels the cell along a surface
- slime extrusion method – a protein adhesion complex is formed at one end, the cell is fixed as the cell glides forward.
- Social co-operative life style in which cell to cell contact is required to complete an elegant life cycle.
- Flavobacterium johnsoniae – “foot gliding”
- Tracks in murein layer - connects CM proteins with to OM proteins – propel the OM proteins along a solid surface. OM membrane proteins and the cell moves in opposite direction