First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
4.3 The Cytoplasmic Membrane of Bacteria and Archaea
- A thin structure that surrounds the cell – importance / significance
- 6–8 nm thick - increased S/V is very important to small cells – why?
- Vital barrier that separates cytoplasm from environment – why?
- Regulates flow of molecules in & out of cell (selective permeability)- how?
- Highly selective & differentially permeable barrier which enables concentration o specific metabolites & excretion of waste products
- Structure & chemistry is key to it’s selectivity – which?
- Small, neutral C02, H20) readily transported; large (glucose) or charged molecules (protons) require specific transport systems - describe