SCHOOL OF SCIENCE
(S1253) MICROBIOLOGY (SS12BMI)
ANSWER 5 QUESTIONS ONLY
- 10 minutes perusal.
- 3 hours writing
- Outline the features of a symbiotic relationship using one example
as an illustration.
- Write briefly on two of the following:
- (a) R-factors (resistance-factors).
- (b) Bacterial viruses.
- (c) Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- Give a general account of genetic transfer by means of conjugation
in bacteria, e.g. Escherichia coli.
- Write briefly on four of the following:
- (a) Capsules.
- (b) Spore formation
- (c) The gram-negative cell-envelope.
- (d) Flagella.
- (e) Endotoxins.
- Outline the mechanisms whereby a bacterial cell can adapt to its
environment in terms of enzyme synthesis and enzyme activity.
- Write briefly on three of the following:
- (a) Phagocytosis.
- (b) The secondary immune response.
- (c) Mycorrhizas.
- (d) Basidiomycetes.
- Write an essay on pathogenic bacteria.
Author: Dr Bharat Patel
HTML'd by Troy Baalham
[Created: 01 Apr 1996]
[Modified: 20 May 1996]